Saturday, November 26, 2005

bits and pieces

Ahhh... Strenght training. I am seriously glad I'm getting closer to the end of these long, multiple sessions in the weight-room. I have trouble finding motivation for them. Tomorrow I've got 4.5 hours of moderate intensity on the bike, it should be a nice ride. Weather is looking fairly good. Next week will be a recovery week, with drastically reduced training volume. I usually try to have 1 recovery week, per 4 week period. This is just as much a "mental" recovery as it is physical. As a matter of fact, during this time of the season, I would strictly not need a recovery week since 99% of all the training is high volume, long easy rides. This type of training is easy to recover from physically (all that is needed is an afternoon nap and a good night of sleep). But, I have learned to appreciate the value of taking a mental break from training from time to time. These recovery weeks with lower volume allows me to do just that. After such a week I'm all rearing to go and ready for more training. After the recovery week I will start my 2nd Base of the season. I will introduce more higher intensity rides and start to focus on the goals of the season: Increasing force and muscular endurance (climbing and TT). Later in the season, when the intensity increases, I will also need the recovery week for physical reasons. But now, it simply gives me a much needed relaxation. Mental burnout / overtraining is never good. I will also find time for the season's first road test next week. I'm anxious to see the results and compare it to previous seasons. Of course, as my coach keep telling me, these road tests can be very subjective since there are so many variables, but I'm still excited about it. Maybe it's more of a mental "carrot" and I always like to see improvements, even if they are small. From one thing, to another - today was a good day for the Norwegian cross-country skiiers. Marit Bjørgen won the 10km classic World Cup in Finland today. Jens Arne Svartedal came in second in the men's 15km classic. As always, check www.langrenn.com for more info. The readers of this blog are becoming very "international" - we have an even balance between Europe and the US. Thank you to everyone that visit and read my blog!

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

What about biathlon? The Norwegians are supposed to be the best in the world....

19:12  
Blogger mags said...

Chris,

Yes, Norway has had many top Olympians in Biathlon in the past. Ole Einar Bjørndalen is one of the greatest.

Mags

21:05  
Blogger Pantani's 2nd Cousin said...

first time visiting your blog. good luck with your training. all the best to you.

09:01  
Blogger mags said...

Thank you. I hope you find some of this interesting.

Mags

22:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home