Sunday, November 20, 2005

A long ride

After completing a 6 hour ride today, I was thinking about how one's pysche and physical state can swing from one side to the other while riding. I started out this morning with an "inner peace / calmness". Everything was quiet, no wind, no traffic and very little people to see. I had a clear mind. A very nice start to a Sunday morning. However, at some point during this ride, my body and mind started to suffer. This feeling of wanting to turn back home and stop riding stuck with me for the better part of 2 hours, before my legs and mind came around and I entered the "zone" again. I've often wondered why this happens. This was not the first time and I don't think it will be the last either. Several other cyclists I've talked to have had the same experience, but nobody has given me a good explanation as to why it happens. Today wrapped up my second week of Base 1. It was the first week of higher training volume since last season. My body has felt very nice so far. It has been responding well to training and is recovering nicely. I have gotten much better at listening to my body and not following an annual training plan blindly. I used to push too hard, too often on training. I did far too much high intensity rides. I have lowered the intensity of my long endurance rides, which has allowed me to train more (higher volume). It has also improved the quality of my hard sessions (intervals etc). If my body starts to feel "run down" and tired, I am now able to force myself to take 2-4 days of rest. 1 day of rest is simply not enough when the body starts to move closer to, and sometimes over, the edge. Of course, active recovery plays a vital part on these rest days. I'm a big believer in writing a detailed training log. This allowes me to track progress, training volume etc. It has been very helpful for me when it comes to discovering "over-training" and it pinpoints what works and what leads to success in races. I now follow a more "traditional" endurance training method. Lots of long, easy rides, some shorter rides at race-pace and an even smaller amount of intervals. I have been toying with the idea of eliminating the typical "interval" session and replacing it with longer race-pace rides. My reasoning behind this is simply that longer rides at a race-pace would teach me to "know my body" better. Knowing how much extra strenght I have available at any time. I also spend more time focusing on stretching exercises this season. Soft muscles recover faster and is less prone to injury. Before I wrap up this post, and take a nap, I would like to thank everyone that has been visiting/reading this blog. I appreciate it! If you like what you are reading, tell your friends. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Marcello said...

The shift in mental moods that you talk about is very common in to all cyclist and part of getting the cycling "bug". On every type of ride I do there are moments where everything is peaceful and calm and nothing could be finer. Then there are moments when you think to your self, "why do I ride?" or "I should just sell the bike!" But then you come back to the feeling of flying down the road or churning up a climb where things just seem right again.

23:04  
Blogger mags said...

Marcello,

Yes, I know what you mean. We all find motivation in various places and it seems to keep us going.

Mags

14:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home