Sunday, November 13, 2005

Winter is coming

Snow. The weather forecast includes snow-showers on Wednesday. On one hand, I'm looking forward to it, since I can supplement some of my generic aerobic training with cross-country skiing. On the other hand - I'm not exactly looking forward to the very cold bike rides I have in front of me, but it is all part of the package. The race schedule for next season is starting to firm up and I've got 2 planned peaks, with the possibility of maybe 1 additional period of top-form. To reap the benefits of good results during these form peaks, I need to put down the hard work in the build-up to the 2006 season. Food. Most cyclists have a love-hate relationship to food. For some, it develops into something very unhealthy and borderline dangerous. Few people eat as much as cyclists, especially during our high volume training periods. During some of my epic training days I will burn 6000-7000 calories per day. This means consuming very large amounts of food. Unnaturally large amounts. And it cannot be any kind of food, if I don't eat right - I don't have the energy to perform well during training. It's not enough to eat a lot, it needs to be the right sort of food. I'm 5' 10" (178 cm) and I currently tip the scale at 150lbs (68kg). To most people I'm a skinny, little guy. In the active cycling community I'm neither small or big. Cyclists are obsessed with their weight, extra weight means more to carry uphill. Every pound counts. I will be the first one to admit that I watch my weight, all year long. I watch what I eat and gaining weight is out of the question. By the time I reach my priority races next season, my weight will be down to 142-145lbs. This is my optimal race weight, balancing power and weight. That means I have 5-8lbs to lose between now and next summer. This will, of course, be no problem - the increased amount of training and intensity takes care of that without any difficulty. But, I still worry, even if the concern is not founded in reality.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

19:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home