Monday, December 05, 2005

Cold, but is it too cold?

The forced rest day I had yesterday really did wonders. I had an ok weight training session today and my body felt good. It's amazing how much more energy you have available after such a day and I tried to push my body a bit extra, just to see how it responded. It was good. The weather is typcial, cold... We've got about 0 F (-16 C) and this is getting very cold on the bike. Even for me. :) I've got a tempo ride scheduled tomorrow, but I may do some cross-training off the bike for the next 2 days or so. I will most likely go for a high intensity (race-pace / tempo) run or maybe some cross country skiing. This time of year, specific training on the bike really isn't all that important anyways. What is more important is building the engine. As a side-note, I would highly recommend visiting Ben Saunders web-site, http://www.bensaunders.com/. Ben Saunders is a long-distance skier with 3 pole expeditions and he is planning to re-create Robert Scott's 1912 expedition to the South Pole next year. His web-site is facinating reading and I highly recommend it. I'm playing with the idea to cross country ski across Greenland at some point in the future, but I would have to do it in the spring - which means I would have to dedicate 16 days or so for the trip. That is hard to do in the spring, for obvious reasons. Although, maybe I can convince my team that it would be great preparation for the spring races? :)

2 Comments:

Blogger asssssssssss said...

Well 16 days without a bike just before the season starts is a lot when you are a pro..(I guess)..Anyway what do you wear when you ride in such low temperatures?(maybe some photos?:>).I want to get some clothes for winter rides(in poland we get low temperatures as well)...

03:33  
Blogger mags said...

Yes, 16 days is a long time, but hey - it's not 16 days of no training. Although, this type of training is more "base" training and not specific pre-season prep. I swear by Craft products. They are GREAT! If you are looking for cold-weather gear, look no further. Their Smartwool products are fantastic. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will.

Mags

17:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home