Sunday, January 08, 2006

Lessons learned

It's Sunday. For the last 3 days or so, I've completed 3 easy sessions. My body feels better, but not great. I still have some slight symptoms (sore throat and a vague headache) of this RI. I am hoping that by tomorrow, I can resume my normal program. I've basically lost 1 week of training and need to get back in the saddle. If I can complete a moderate intensity session tomorrow without any worsening symptoms, I should be ok. If not, I'm afraid I'll have to visit the doctor.

I always try and learn from mistakes and find something positive in any situation. I believe in the strength of positive attitudes and directing my energy towards good things. So, I was looking through my training log today and I discovered something - a couple of weeks ago I had to take a forced rest day. Not only do I log what I have done during a training session, but more importantly, I write down a subjective summary of how the session went and how I felt. Well, as I said, two weeks ago, I basically wrote "felt tired. No energy. Sore throat". The following day, I trained, but made another entry along the same lines "No energy. Heavy legs". The rest of that week was ok, but what happened later? Well, I got sick and lost a whole week of training.

Alright, so what's the lesson here? Well, the lesson is to listen to your body! I talk about that a lot, but apparently I'm not very good at it myself. I should have taken it easy a couple of weeks ago, when my body was trying to tell me I was getting sick. If I had, chances are I wouldn't have lost 7 days... So, the positive in all this is that I learned to pay even better attention to these signals.

As a side-note, I'm excited about the possibility of securing another, good sponsorship. The deal is not yet "in the box", but it's looking good. I should know more early next week.

2 Comments:

Blogger ashwinearl said...

Good luck with the sponsorship. I know you said once that you want to stay anonymous, but at what level do you race at?

13:15  
Blogger mags said...

Thank you very much. I am pretty excited about it.
I guess I race at what you might call a "fairly" high level. I straddle the lines between amateur and professional, although I'm a full-time bike rider. But like many that are not in a ProTour team, it's hard to make a lot of money doing it.

Mags

13:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home