Monday, January 09, 2006

On the way to recovery

Not much to write about today. A bit of a "writer's block", I guess. A big positive for me, in my little egocentric world, is that I think the virus is finally letting go. I'm looking forward to being able to attack my sessions with a bit more energy and intensity.

Also, the Norwegian newspapers at home are writing about the disadvantages of being married to a full-time athlete. A few high profile break-ups spurred the journalists to run some feature stories on how much stress living with such an athlete can put on a spouse. That makes me appreciate my lovely wife even more, if that's possible.

Also, if you are looking for a good book to read during these winter months - consider picking up Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air". Krakauer was a member of the Rob Hall expedition in 1996 and writes brilliantly about the terror on Mt. Everest. Very fascinating and a bit disturbing. When I read it the first time, I simply couldn't put the book down. Highly recommended!

As always I welcome feedback and input regarding the content of this blog. If you have any questions or ideas about topics, let me know.

4 Comments:

Blogger HP said...

Mags, I'm an avid reader of Jill Homer's blog about training and Alaska. Her last post was great, especially all of the comments.

I am a recreational rider that raises money for Team in Training. I completed a century in October and plan to do another one in June. Training season has not quite begun yet, and I'd like to lose weight.
I'd like to lose a total of 40 pounds over the next year, but would settle for losing about 10-15 before the ride (5% of my total body weight) Do you have any suggestions? I work full time but have a couple hours every nite to dedicate to training. Can you give me a few tips? I'd really appreciate it.

This may be an easier way to reach me:
jezebel_deux(at)yahoo.com
(replace the (at) with an @)

19:06  
Blogger mags said...

HP,

Team in Training is a great organization. Good luck with the Century.

One thing about personal advice - it's just that. In other words, it is hard to give very detailed advice without knowing more about you, but here goes:

I believe it's about making changes across the board (diet, exercise, rest) for good. Not for 6 months, for good.

Diet - evaluate your diet, including all "snacks" and make the appropriate changes. Aim for around a 200-400 caloric deficiency per day. Remember - patience. Eat 4-6 smaller meals per day, instead of 2-3 larger ones. 60-70% carbs (mostly complex, some simple), 20% protein and the rest fat.

Exercise - Lets say you have 10 hours available for training per week. Aim for 1-2 rest days, so you have 10 hours to spread out over 5 days. Remember, low intensity and longer durations will help your body metabolize fat better. You will train your body to use fat as an energy source. Try 1-2 sessions per week of higher intensities (maybe intervals or a "race-pace" ride).

Recovery - make sure you allow for enough time for recovery. Rest yourself into shape, in other words. Get a recovery meal in after a work-out (within 1 hour of training).

Good luck,

Mags

15:12  
Blogger HP said...

Mags,
Thanks so much for the tips. My overall plan is to improve my diet, not go on a "diet" so it seems like we're on the same page.
I'll keep you posted on my progress!
HP

13:18  
Blogger mags said...

HP,

You are welcome. Maintaining a proper weight and improving aerobic capabilities requires a life-long lifestyle change. Good luck and keep me updated!

Mags

16:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home