Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Thoughts about next season

What!?? Next season? This season haven't even gotten off the ground yet. I know, I know... But still, here are some of the things I'm considering doing differently next season:

Lots of I-3 sessions (threshold), completed as distance sessions. Not intervals. In other words, 60-90 minute constant efforts at I-3. I've been doing that this season as well, and I might do even more of it next year.

A bit more I-4 / I-5 (Max VO2) sessions. I may introduce these sessions a month earlier than usual. I'm also seriously considering having 2-3 blocks of very intense I-4 / I-5 sessions as a build-up to 2007. Each block would consist of 10-13 I-4 and I-5 intervals over the course of 7-10 days. With 2, or maybe even 3, of these blocks, I should see a considerable increase in my Max VO2 numbers.

Of course, it's early still and things might/will change.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I love how most people don't get it that this year is a stepping stone for next year, etc. In 2004 I figured I'd be getting my legs back by 2006 after cancer. I figured about right.

21:57  
Blogger mags said...

Mike,

Excactly. Many riders let themselves too far down and instead of getting better each year, they simply take two steps forward and then two backwards...

So the cancer is gone then, huh?

Mags

12:28  
Blogger Tom Stormcrowe said...

Mags, good for you for planning next season now! That is the kind of dedication that will get you in the Olympics. By the way, if you make it, keep an eye open for my ugly mug around the finish line! I gotta say, though that that will be the only event where I'll be pulling for someone other than a Team USA rider!::GRIN::

06:28  
Blogger mags said...

Tom,

:) I'll be sure to look for you. Thanks for the support. :)

I think I've been just a bit too nice during my season prep this year. Partly due to illness, but also partly due to poor planning. As a result, my Max VO2 value is a bit lower than what it should have been.

So, I've had to make some changes to my training over the last few weeks. This should raise the value, but it has come a bit too late in the season.

Anyways, that's the reason for the thoughts on next season.

Mags

11:16  
Blogger Tom Stormcrowe said...

If you get gold and I'm there, we'll knock back a couple of Akvavit's together! ::GRIN::

11:51  
Blogger mags said...

Tom,

Now there's a great idea! :) That's a deal, my friend.

Mags

12:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home