Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Interesting reads

Usually I'm not a big reader during the summer months. I find it difficult to sit down and concentrate enough on a book when the weather is so beautiful. As for the type of books I read, I'm not very picky as long as it's not a fiction book. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last fiction book I actually finished... So anyways, the brunt of my reading is done in the post/pre-season, but I've managed to read a few interesting books this summer and would like to highlight a couple:

"Before the Dawn" by Nicholas Wade. Mr. Wade is a science-reporter for the New York Times and has previously worked for Nature and Science. His newest book tackles the history of our ancestors seen in light of the new DNA-technology that has become available in recent years. It's a very fascinating and well-written book on a, for me, very interesting topic. Maybe one of the most interesting things in the book deals with the exodus out of Africa of the first modern humans approx. 50,000 years ago.

Recent DNA-technology shows us that this exodus might only have been of a small group of 150 humans. This small group populated the rest of the world and slowly exterminated Homo Neanderthales and Homo Erectus, our ancestral cousins.

I'm currently reading "The Blue Bear" by Lynn Schooler. Which, in short, I would highly recommend for anyone interested in wildlife, photography and "outdoor activities" in general.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home