Friday, June 09, 2006

My element

Wearing a skin-suit, funny looking headwear all while walking like a penguin with the accompanying sounds-effects, makes me feel uncomfortable. Even in a cycling crazy and success starved country, people going about their daily business look at me like I'm from Mars and without a doubt, completely nuts. And it makes me uncomfortable.

But, as soon as I mount my time-machine, hear the sweet sound of the cleats clicking into the pedals, feel the force of the pedals - I'm in my element. 100% comfortable. Everything that made me feel "out of place" without the bike, now becomes necessary and perfectly normal. It feels as though everything is working in a beautiful symbiotic relationship. Complete harmony. I'm no longer a klutzy, funny looking dude. I need the bike like fish needs water.

Anyways, rating put aside - The season so far is going well. We are doing well and meeting our goals. The team has had some great results and personally I'm happy. My home away from home is in a great part of Europe with lots and lots of pro riders packed into a small area. It's great to be able to ride and train with some of the best ProTour riders on a daily basis. Nothing encourages growth quite like that.

7 Comments:

Blogger Surly Drew said...

Hey Mags,

What team are you riding for?

15:36  
Blogger mags said...

What? Me? :)

21:31  
Blogger Caloi-Rider said...

It's a darn good thing you're comfortable on the TT bike, cuz there's no room to hide on one of them thar contraptions.
Glad to hear things are going well. Wish you could give us more detail, but I understand the anonymity thing.

00:00  
Blogger Tim Jackson- Masi Guy said...

I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way; put me on a bike and I'm as natural as I can possibly get. On my track bike especially, I feel like I can do no wrong (though I can and do). It always cracks me up when I go to the gym to lift weights. Cyclist that I am, and a sprinter, I can lift far more with my legs than most of the big bulky guys... but then when I have to use my upper body I just flail around.

Enjoy the training and racing and continued good luck to you.

10:26  
Blogger mags said...

Caloi - thanks for stopping by. Maybe I should elaborate as to why I'm reluctant giving away my identity; I wanted this to be a blog where people stop by and read for the content and not for who I am and what team I race for.

Also, I love cycling - but I hate, really hate, reading race reports. Nothing bores me more than a textual description of a bike race. You can't take something that animated and make it so "fixed". Because of that, I really don't see myself describing our races.

I hope this explains my reasoning.

Tim - nice to hear from you. I'm still waiting for you to fly over to Europe so that we can go for a ride. Maybe you could bring an extra MASI frame???? :)

Mags

13:42  
Blogger Tim Jackson- Masi Guy said...

Mags,

Believe me, WHEN I get over there, I will let you know. Same goes for you though; next you get over here, I expect to hear about it.

Let your freak flag fly high and enjoy. I do a TT work out every week (just to remind myself why I hat TT's) and I wear my skinsuit and TT helmet. I get the goofiest looks from people...

23:43  
Blogger mags said...

Tim - that's a deal. :)

Mags

20:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home